Denis Moriarty

Denis Moriarty

Denis Moriarty was born circa 1888 in Tralee, Co. Kerry.

He enlisted at the Royal Munster Fusiliers Depot in Tralee in 1906 at age 18. He served in India between 1908 and 1914 and during this time he was promoted to Corporal and joined the British Expeditionary Force in 1915. In February 1915 he was promoted to Sergeant and on March 16 1915 he departed for Gallipoli at Avenmouth with the Royal Munster Fusiliers. During his time in Gallipoli he was promoted to Pioneer Sergeant and later Company Quarter Master Sergeant. In January 1916 he was evacuated from Gallipoli with the rest of the troops and he landed in France on the 22 March 1916.

He spent 1916 in France and was hospitalised several times for different reasons, including bouts of gonorrhoea. In April 1917 he was granted a permanent commission in the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers.

He was killed in action in France on September 19th 1918 and is buried in Trois Arbres Cemetery Steenwick. 

To read his diary in full and find out more information visit: http://ww1.osborn.ws/a-gallipoli-diary

Denis Moriarty's diary will be updated from April to July. 

Diary Tracker

Follow the stories of the Irishmen who fell at Gallipoli from a century ago via their personal stories, ephemera, archive material, census details, military archives and diaries.

  1. Denis Moriarty

    Denis Moriarty

    13 July

    Still on the front trenches. Should have been relieved today but all movements have been cancelled indefinitely. Things were fairly quiet till about 4 pm when the whole of the artillery (French and British) started another fierce bombardment of the Turkish positions. Just behind where I am staying there are two British batteries concealed and all the evening the Turks kept trying to find them with shells but they did not succeed. What they did do was to drop some of the shells very close to my dugout. I went out this morning and put two crosses over the graves of the men of  W and Y companies who were killed on the night of 1-2 May (13 of Y 19 W and 8 of the machine gun)

  2. Denis Moriarty

    Denis Moriarty

    12 July

    Daybreak 4am. Our artillery opened a terrific fire on a redoubt in front of the Dublins lines and about 5.30 the Dubs made a feint attack but it was only to attract the Turks attention while the French were getting ready on the right.

    About 8 am the French commenced their bombardment and kept it up till about 10 am when they launched the attack. It was not a success and the firing died down again about 2 pm. About 4 pm the French again bombarded but they made no mistake this time. They rained shell after shell on the Turkish trenches and after a while our own guns as well as the naval guns joined in the game and when the infantry attacked they met hardly any opposition and by 7pm the French had gained about a mile of ground.

    As usual when it got dark the Turks counter attacked in large numbers but it cost them a lot and they gained nothing of what they had lost.

  3. Denis Moriarty

    Denis Moriarty

    9 July

    9,10 and 11 July 1915

    Nothing much doing. Had a letter from Pauline and mother on the 11th

  4. Denis Moriarty

    Denis Moriarty

    8 July

    In the front line of trenches. Had a letter from Ellie and 2 papers and some fags from Pauline.

  5. Denis Moriarty

    Denis Moriarty

    6 July

    6 - 7 July 1915

    Still in the front line of trenches but things are very quiet on either side. Think the Turks are getting fed up with attacking us.

  6. Denis Moriarty

    Denis Moriarty

    5 July

    Dawn. The Turks were seen forming up for the purpose of attacking and immediately after their artillery opened a fierce bombardment on our trenches. But our people were ready and the first attacking fell back demoralised. They came on again and again but they met the same fate each time and by 11 am their force was spent and all was quiet for the rest of the day. Had a letter from mother, Pauline, Ellie, and Mrs Barnacle. Also two papers from Pauline.

  7. Denis Moriarty

    Denis Moriarty

    4 July

    9pm Moved up into the front trenches.

  8. Denis Moriarty

    Denis Moriarty

    30 June

    30 June to 3 July 1915

    At Gully Beach. Nothing much doing.

  9. Denis Moriarty

    Denis Moriarty

    29 June

    4am what a sight at daybreak. The ground in front was thick with Turkish dead and then when it got lighter we sighted some Turks who got in between our lines during the night. But they are either dead or prisoners now. About 3pm we were relieved by the Indian Brigade and went back to Gully Beach.

  10. Denis Moriarty

    Denis Moriarty

    28 June

    9am ordered to support the 87th Brigade who were to take a strong line of entrenchments held by the Turks. Kept moving up all day but were not called upon till about 5 pm and then we got it hot especially X coy who were caught in the open by shrapnel while charging the Turkish trenches. But we got our own back that night when the Turks counter attacked. Our fellows simply mowed them down. 

    During the night I had to go back twice  for ammunition and it was not a very nice job as we had to cover about 2 miles of broken and unknown country and lead was coming from all directions but the firing line was kept supplied - enough said.

  11. Denis Moriarty

    Denis Moriarty

    27 June

    Moved into another position in readiness for tomorrow’s attack.

  12. Denis Moriarty

    Denis Moriarty

    22 June

    Moved up into the front trenches where we remained till 27th.

  13. Denis Moriarty

    Denis Moriarty

    21 June

    At Gully Beach. Nothing doing.

  14. Denis Moriarty

    Denis Moriarty

    20 June

    At Gully Beach (Sunday). We had Mass this morning at which I attended. We were told that a German chemist had arrived in Constantinople for the purpose of making poisonous gas. We were issued with respirators in case the Turks would use it against us. The Turks have sent us the third and final warning to get off the Peninsular before they make it too hot for us. We are going tomorrow (I don’t think).

  15. Denis Moriarty

    Denis Moriarty

    19 June

    At Gully Beach. Ordered to move up nearer to the firing line but when we got there we were not required and were sent back again.

    Turks sent some shells into us but did not do any damage except to kill an empty ammunition box.

  16. Denis Moriarty

    Denis Moriarty

    18 June

    At Gully Beach. Fairly quiet up to about 4 pm when the Turks commenced to attack (the first time they did such a thing in daylight since we arrived). We were ordered to be ready in case we were required to help our own people in the trenches but we did not move as the Turks were driven off before dark and they stopped quiet for the rest of the night.

  17. Denis Moriarty

    Denis Moriarty

    17 June

    Relieved by the Inniskilling Fusiliers and went back about 2 miles to dugouts.

  18. Denis Moriarty

    Denis Moriarty

    16 June

    In the firing line. Very quiet all day, Turks must have had enough last night. About 5 pm our 12 inch guns opened fire on the Turkish trenches about 200 yards in front of us. What an awful sight it is when one of these shells explode. The gunners had the range to a T and you could plainly hear the Turks howling for mercy and see white flags being pushed over the top of the trenches but we know a little too much now to take any notice of white flags.

    Some prisoners who were brought in stated that but for their German officers they would give in long ago. If they are seen making a movement to surrender they are shot down by German machine gunners. So that with them it is (6 of 1 and half dozen of another).

  19. Denis Moriarty

    Denis Moriarty

    15 June

    In the firing line. Quiet up to about 3 pm when the Turks commenced to make it pretty hot for us with shrapnel and “Jack Johnsons”. This they kept up till dark and about 10 pm they attacked in force. They took a trench from the Dublins who were on our right. About 4 am our Regiment were ordered to try and retake the trench which the Dubs had lost and they got it back in a very novel manner. 

    An officer, a sergeant and a couple of men sapped up to within about 20 yards of the trench which the Turks were in and started to sling bombs into it for all they were worth. It was a complete surprise to the Turks who did not expect this movement but there was still another shock waiting them. While the bomb throwers were getting ready two of our machine guns took up a position where they would be able to get anyone leaving the trench. Consequently when the bombs started to drop in the trench the Turks took to their heels but every one of them were brought down by our machine guns at point blank range. The machine gun officer estimated that there was at least 400 of them there so that was a little bit of our debt paid off.

    Munster casualties - one machine gun officer killed, one machine gunner wounded. Dubs casualties when they were attacked 8 killed 18 wounded.

  20. Denis Moriarty

    Denis Moriarty

    14 June

    In the firing line. Nothing doing very quiet.

  21. Denis Moriarty

    Denis Moriarty

    13 June

    In the firing line again. Fairly quiet except for a few occasional shells.

  22. Denis Moriarty

    Denis Moriarty

    12 June

    At Gully Beach. 2.30 am ordered to move up to the firing line and got there about 5 30 am. Nothing much doing during the day it was fairly quiet at night. We stood to arms one hour before daybreak but the Turks made no movement.

  23. Denis Moriarty

    Denis Moriarty

    11 June

    In the reserve trenches. 2am ordered to pack up and move to “Gully Beach”  Arrived there at 4.30 am and remained there during the day.

  24. Denis Moriarty

    Denis Moriarty

    10 June

    In the reserve trenches. The Turks started shelling us about 7 am and kept it up at intervals the whole day long. Their shooting was not very accurate as our casualties were only 3 wounded considering they fired about 200 shells.

    About 3 pm a cart with 6 horses drawing it was passing by our trenches when a shell from the enemy knocked over the leading horse. The three drivers immediately made for cover and left horses, cart and all there and at once the Turks commenced to shell this cart for all they were worth. In all they must have fired about 60 shells at it and the damage amounted to two horses killed. While this heavy shell fire was on two men of the Regiment L/C  Slattery and Private Twomey left the trenches and released the two horses that were not killed and got them under cover. During the time they were unharnessing the horses 4 shells burst right over them but they did not get a scratch. They were recommended for the DCM. Slattery was promoted Sergeant at once.

    I had a narrow escape myself. A piece of shell weighing about 2 lbs dropped clean in between 2 of us in the trench. It grazed my leg.

  25. Denis Moriarty

    Denis Moriarty

    9 June

    In the reserve trenches. Nothing doing much.

  26. Denis Moriarty

    Denis Moriarty

    8 June

    In the reserve trenches. I went to Holy Communion this morning about 50 men of the Regiment were there also. Fairly quiet during the day and night.

  27. Denis Moriarty

    Denis Moriarty

    7 June

    In the reserve trenches. Fairly quiet all day except for a few shells from the Turks. About 6 30 pm our artillery suddenly opened a fierce bombardment on Achi Baba and after about an hour they suddenly ceased and then there was a terrific rifle and machine gun fire which was kept up during the whole night. What actually happened I have not heard yet. I went to confession about 8.30 pm.

  28. Denis Moriarty

    Denis Moriarty

    6 June

    Still in the reserve trenches but what a time we got from the Turks. They devoted all day to shelling our reserve trenches and they put some of the shells pretty close to us too. About 8 am there was three of us cooking our breakfast behind a large tree in rear of the trenches when suddenly there was a well known scream and then bang, bang two shells dropped within about 10 feet of us but fortunately did no damage. I soon got back to the trenches again. During the day there was about 200 shells fired at us and the damage  amounted to three men wounded. The priest intended to say mass (it being Sunday) but unfortunately on account of the shell fire he would not risk having the men out in the open. We had a sermon and rosary that night when it got dark.

    Being in the reserve trenches does not save a person from rifle fire as there is plenty of bullets come our way. A rather strange thing happened today. The Sergeant Major was walking behind the trenches when something hit him in the chest. It knocked him out for a time and when he opened his coat to see what had happened he found that a bullet had penetrated his coat and shirt and struck a small medal which he was wearing on his scapulars. The bullet bent the medal in two but did not injure himself.

  29. Denis Moriarty

    Denis Moriarty

    5 June

    In the reserve trenches. Battle for Achi Baba still going on but not as furious as the day before. Our people are still holding the ground that they took from the enemy. We were not called upon to go into the firing line as the Turks are not very anxious to come to grips with us.

  30. Denis Moriarty

    Denis Moriarty

    4 June

    At V beach. During the morning things were very quiet. Suddenly about 10 30 am the French batteries on our right opened fire. That seemed to be a signal for the rest of the artillery. Immediately the whole line took it up and after a while the ships on either side of the peninsular joined in and such a din I never heard before. It was a lot worse than the day we landed. I left my dugout and went out to see what was happening and what a sight I saw. The whole of “Achi Baba” was nothing but a mass of flying earth and smoke. The bombardment was kept up about 4 hours and if any Turks lived under it, it must be a miracle.

    During this time our infantry were advancing and some of the wounded who came back told us that they had taken two lines of Turkish trenches. About 1 30 p.m. we were ordered to get ready to move and at 3 p.m. we went up to the reserve trenches where we remained all night. Whilst in the reserve trenches I saw at least 1000 Turkish prisoners being marched back to our base and one of them who was spoken to by an interpreter said he was the only one left alive in his trench as the result of our artillery fire. During the night the Turks made several attacks to try and gain back the ground they had lost but on each occasion they were easily beaten off.

  31. Denis Moriarty

    Denis Moriarty

    3 June

    At V beach. Had some letters and papers from home today, one from P--- one from mother one from G--- and one from M--- dated 20 11 14. Ordered to be ready to move into the firing line at any moment.

  32. Denis Moriarty

    Denis Moriarty

    2 June

    At V beach. Things are fairly quiet except for a few shells sent to us from the Asiatic side.

  33. Denis Moriarty

    Denis Moriarty

    1 June

    At V beach. Nothing much doing. A draft of 150 men joined us today.

  34. Denis Moriarty

    Denis Moriarty

    31 May

    At W beach. Got some carpenters tools and wood and made a large cross to put over the grave on V beach where 220 of the Munsters and Dublins are buried and who were killed there on the day we landed.

  35. Denis Moriarty

    Denis Moriarty

    30 May

    At W beach. Same routine as the day before. Had a letter from E--- today.

  36. Denis Moriarty

    Denis Moriarty

    29 May

    At W beach. The Regiment were working all day unloading stores etc.

  37. Denis Moriarty

    Denis Moriarty

    28 May

    At the base. Ordered to move to W beach today. Myself and the Pioneers left at 2 p.m. but the remainder of the Regiment did not move till dark. If they did so it would only mean a few shells fired at them because any movement of troops that the Turks can see they let fly at them but very seldom do any damage.

  38. Denis Moriarty

    Denis Moriarty

    27 May

    Still in the firing line. The Turks were fairly quiet up till about 3 p.m. and then they started giving us something hot with shrapnel but when our guns got their range they stopped very quickly.

    I buried 2 more men today one was killed by a sniper and the other by shrapnel which was the only casualties we have had while the Turks were shelling. About 6pm the Gurkahs came up and relieved us and we went back to our resting place where we arrived about 9 p.m.

  39. Denis Moriarty

    Denis Moriarty

    26 May

    Buried 3 men who were killed last night. Father Harker read the burial service over them. If any men deserve the VC he does because where ever the Regiment goes (no matter what the danger is) he is always with us and besides he also visits other Regiments who are near us and have not got a priest with them. He is the only priest of any denomination that I have seen in the firing line since we landed. About 11am the enemy let us have about a dozen rounds of shrapnel but no damage done. Rifle fire during the night was very hot both sides must have been expecting an attack which did not come off. Rations did not arrive till 1 am this morning 27th and I turned in about 2 am and slept till five. Up to the time I went to sleep the rifle fire had not ceased but I was so done up it did not keep me from sleeping. 

  40. Denis Moriarty

    Denis Moriarty

    25 May

    In the firing line still. Pioneers busy all day digging latrines drawing picks and shovels etc. The Turks sent some shrapnel into us but did no damage. From where we were on the hill we were able to see “Triumph” sinking about 5 p.m.? The rain came down pretty hard and it was very miserable in the trenches. Enemy made a half-hearted night attack, our casualties were 3 killed and 4 wounded.

  41. Denis Moriarty

    Denis Moriarty

    24 May

    Fairly quiet up to 3 p.m. when we got orders to proceed to the firing line where we arrived about 9 p.m.. Pioneers and myself were in a “Nullagh” about 70 yards in rear in charge of ammunition and rations. The night was fairly quiet except for some snipers. Casualties during the night 2 men wounded.

  42. Denis Moriarty

    Denis Moriarty

    23 May

    Four weeks today we landed here and it does not appear so long after all. Still at the base. Heard mass this morning and also Rosary and sermon the same evening. Some more shells from the Turks but no damage done. Heard that Italy had joined the Allies. Half the Battns went off at 8 p.m. to dig trenches near the firing line, the other half are going up in the morning.

  43. Denis Moriarty

    Denis Moriarty

    17 May

    17 May  to 22 May 1915

    Still having a rest and things fairly quiet except for a few stray shells which the Turks sent down to us every day. But they seldom do any damage and we are getting quite used to them now. Got bread and fresh meat on the 19th and what a change from bully and biscuits. Had a letter from Pauline on 21st and I answered it on 22nd.

  44. Denis Moriarty

    Denis Moriarty

    14 May

    14 May to 16 May 1915

    Nothing much doing. We are still at the base. Have mass every morning and had service on Sunday evening 16 May 1915. Got a clean shirt, which was very badly wanted. A draft of one officer three sergeants and 46 men joined us from home on the 16th.

  45. Denis Moriarty

    Denis Moriarty

    13 May

    Appointed Pioneer Sergeant and took over the duties of same. Our Pioneer Sergeant Ireland was killed on the night of the 11 May 1915 by a fall of cliff under which he was sleeping.

    About 11 am General Hunter-Western visited us and spoke about the fine work we had done during our landing and the subsequent 15 days said if. He said if it was necessary “that any man of the 29th Divn who had landed on the Peninsular and took the first Turkish possession at the point of the bayonet could lawfully lay down his arms and say “I have done my duty” because in that one feat alone the 29th Divn. surprised the whole world by doing what was thought to be impossible.

  46. Denis Moriarty

    Denis Moriarty

    12 May

    Still at the base but not having a rest as we were sent on fatigue unloading ammunition and stores. Got back about 8 p.m. and were shelled on our way back.

  47. Denis Moriarty

    Denis Moriarty

    11 May

    Attended Mass which our priest celebrated at 7 am. We were visited by the Brigadier who read out --------- Started to rain about 11 am also it was very windy and we had no shelter. Our wounded “Kaiser” came back today. He got a fine cheer from the Coy. His wound is all right again now and we are very glad to have him back again.

  48. Denis Moriarty

    Denis Moriarty

    10 May

    Still at the base. Had a bathe in the sea today also a change of washing and a shave. Took my moustache as well. I look like a boxing man now. Got 70 “fags” a man and some oranges from the navy.

  49. Denis Moriarty

    Denis Moriarty

    9 May

    Back to the base for a well earned rest. Don’t know how long we will stop here.

  50. Denis Moriarty

    Denis Moriarty

    8 May

    Still holding the line we took up yesterday. There were some snipers in concealed in front of our trenches and every one that showed himself was bound to be fired at. A lot of our chaps chanced running back for water and about 7 got hit but fortunately none killed.

    About 10 am the French, Australians and New Zealanders made a feint attack to draw the enemy’s fire and didn’t the Turks waste some ammunition. The attacking force rested in rear of our trenches during the day. While coming up it was only natural they had some casualties. There was a New Zealander lying wounded about 100 yards in rear of our trenches and we could hear him moaning quite plainly. Suddenly one of his own officers called for 2 volunteers to fetch him into our trenches. The officer and 2 men dashed out and picked up the wounded man. On they came towards us and I was just thinking they were safe when the Turks let fly and brought down the officer and one of the men (wounded only). You should have heard what our men said about the Turks and what they would have liked to do to them.

    About 5 p.m. our artillery assisted by the navy started another fierce bombardment of the enemy positions, and about a half hour afterwards away went our infantry right over our trenches and straight towards the enemy trenches. Our people were in possession of them before dark (8 p.m.) which meant a gain to us of about a thousand yards. We were relieved by the Worcesters that night and went back to the second line. 

  51. Denis Moriarty

    Denis Moriarty

    7 May

    I was still in the reserve trenches. About 9 am our artillery commenced the bombardment of the enemy trenches and didn’t they give the Turks something. From where I was I could see the whole ground in front, nothing but a mass of flying debris. Our aeroplanes are overhead giving our people the range and all the time the enemy shrapnel is bursting around them (and falling on us too) but they don’t seem to care they keep on soaring over the enemy position. Mrs Ahern’s brother in law sighted a sniper this morning and he was getting in a good position to have a shot at him when the sniper got him clean through the left wrist. One of the chaps in the trench bound it up for him and he went back to the base hospital.

    About 4 p.m. we got the order to attack and take a wood on our left. The Border Regiment attacked it from one side and theMunsters and Dublins (who are now one regiment) attacked the other side. For the first part of the advance we were fairly well under cover but the last 500 yards was quite open. We got there all right with very few casualties and the wood was in our possession by 6 p.m..

    We dug ourselves in for the night which was fairly quiet except for some confounded snipers. During the last 200 yards of the advance the ground and air around us was fairly alive with flying bullets and it is a marvel that more men were not hit.

  52. Denis Moriarty

    Denis Moriarty

    6 May

    From daybreak till about 10 am nothing much of any consequence. At 11 am a general advance started. The 88th Brigade on the left, the Naval Brigade in the centre and a Brigade of French troops on the right. Our artillery commenced the bombardment of the hill that was to be taken and such a din I will never forget. Our Brigade were in reserve and when the enemy’s artillery started they gave our trenches “what oh”. They were trying to find our artillery who were well in rear and it just shows the kind of gunners they have got. Our troops gained a mile of ground right along the whole front and fortunately there were very few casualties on our side. They kept peppering all night but we held the ground we had won.

    Did not have a wash now since the 2nd, hope I will get a chance of one soon. The days here are fairly warm but it is bitterly cold at night in fact it is almost impossible to sleep. That is if you get a chance of doing so. Snipers are still very busy and every time you leave the trench you must run the gauntlet of their fire. Our fellows are getting used to them now as they find they are not very good shots and some of the daring chaps go out to especially to allow the snipers to have a pop at them.

  53. Denis Moriarty

    Denis Moriarty

    5 May

    Still in the front line of trenches. Dublins on our right and Borderers on our left. Very quiet all day with the exception of a few snipers who keep popping at anyone they can see outside the trench.

    They are not very good shots as they did not get even one hit all day. They seem to know our meal hours as it is then they get busiest. We are playing them at their own game now as we send out some snipers as well and they usually account for a few of them. Nothing during the night only a few occasional shots away on the right. I had my boots off for a few hours during the day and it was a great relief. I never thought it was possible to keep them on so long.

  54. Denis Moriarty

    Denis Moriarty

    4 May

    From daybreak till 2 p.m. only a few shots on either side. 

    2.30 p.m. moved into the firing line again, two men wounded by snipers while doing so. Enemy kept banging away all night but did not attempt to come too close. I think they must be getting “fed up” with night attacks. I was speaking to Coy. Officer with both our heads showing over the top of the trench when a bullet struck the parapet right between us. “Hard lines Mr Sniper”.

  55. Denis Moriarty

    Denis Moriarty

    3 May

    A quiet day, only a few artillery shots on either side. A party of Turks came in with a white flag and asked for 24 hours to bury their dead. I believe they got four hours.

    Had a shave today, the first for 9 days. Another night attack, every bit as fierce as the night before. We were in the reserve trenches but got no rest as they let us have plenty of shrapnel. Two men got hit, wounded only.

  56. Denis Moriarty

    Denis Moriarty

    2 May

    A week in the firing line today and thank God I am still alive. My God, what a sight met us when day broke this morning. The whole ground in front was littered with dead Turks. To my left where the attack was strongest, I think there is at least 500 and there is no chance of burying them as anybody who shows themselves outside is bound to be brought down by one of their snipers who are concealed all over the country. A party of my platoon to bury Sergeant Sunner [6] who got wounded by a shrapnel. We were relieved in the trenches about 6pm by the Hampshire Regiment and went back about a mile and dug ourselves in. But we got no rest during the night as the enemy kept peppering us with shrapnel but there was nobody hit.

    Had a letter and some “Fags” from Mother, also a letter from E--e and a box of fags, and a letter from D--s. Another fierce night attack by the Turks I am sure they lost more tonight than the night before.

  57. Denis Moriarty

    Denis Moriarty

    1 May

    Had a look round this morning and saw one of the enemies’ shells about 50 yards in front of my trench which had failed to explode. 

    About 5 pm enemy started a heavy shrapnel fire on our trenches. Three of us were having some tea in rear of our trench when one of them burst overhead and a splinter struck the ground about a foot away from me.

    9 pm they started an attack, I am sure I will never forget that night as long as I live. They crept right up to our trenches (they were in thousands) and they made the night hideous with yells and shouting Allah, Allah. We could not help mowing them down. Some of them broke through in a part of our line but they never again got back as they were caught between the two lines of trenches.

    Some of the best men in the Regiment killed. When the Turks got to close quarters the devils used “hand grenades” and you could only recognise our dead by their Identity Discs.

  58. Denis Moriarty

    Denis Moriarty

    30 April

    Improved our trenches, enemy let us have some shrapnel but did no damage.

    Some of our men went out sniping, killed 3 and brought in 2 wounded of the enemy. Enemy started a night attack by heavily shelling part of our trenches, then their infantry opened a heavy rifle fire on us, our artillery and infantry replied and the enemy seemed to get “fed up” as they stopped very quickly. The moon came up and made us pretty safe from rushes. About midnight they had another go at attacking us but that died out quicker than the first. All quiet for the remainder of the night. Our regiment had no casualties. I think the Essex had a few men hit by shrapnel.

  59. Denis Moriarty

    Denis Moriarty

    29 April

    Moved into a different position and dug in. During the night snipers were at work but we did not take any notice of them.

  60. Denis Moriarty

    Denis Moriarty

    28 April

    General advance ordered, we were detailed for Supports, about 11am word came back for Supports. Started to join firing line but Coy. Officer myself and 5 men got cut off from remainder of Coy.

    Met a Coy. of Lancs Fus and joined them. Advanced over fire-swept ground, bullets hopping all around, my luck must have been in, got within 600 yards of enemy trench, could not see any of them, but blazed away into their trenches. Hope I accounted for some of them. Dug in that night but were not attacked. Did not have a wash since 24/4/15 but managed to change my socks tonight. 

    02 Fuller was wounded in the face.

  61. Denis Moriarty

    Denis Moriarty

    27 April


    Relieved in the trenches by the French troops and went back to base (about ½ mile).


    Ordered to a different position to rest for the night.

  62. Denis Moriarty

    Denis Moriarty

    26 April


    Dubliners and Munsters ordered to attack and take village held by enemy snipers.

    Village taken about 11am casualties on our side slight.


    Same regiments ordered to take a strongly held redoubt about 500 yards south of the village which task was completed about 3pm. The trenches being taken at the point of the bayonet. The Dubs were first to charge from about 200 yards from the trenches. The Turks did not wait, and when the Munsters got to the trenches we found a German officer and six Turks who gave in.

    Sergeant Major Bennet was killed leading his Coy to take the trenches. He was buried where he fell by a party of X Coy and I put a rough cross on his grave with a small inscription. Dug in that night in the position we had taken and beat off several counter attacks.

  63. Denis Moriarty

    Denis Moriarty

    25 April

    Landed on Turkish soil under a terrific fire from enemy entrenchments. Battalion lost about 17 killed and 200 wounded.

    I lay in the open from 7am till 5pm and did not get a scratch.

    Dug ourselves in that night snipers going all night but we did not return their fire.

    Food for 24 hrs 2 biscuits and some water.